Website Engene Inc.
Company: enGene Inc.
Position: In vivo Scientist/Pharmacologist
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
enGene Inc. is a high growth, privately-owned biotechnology company developing a robust, proprietary non-viral vector platform to deliver genes to various epithelial tissues across multiple therapy areas. enGene’s initial focus is on immuno-oncology and gut-associated diseases and is developing a unique gut optimized gene delivery formulation into an orally available “Gene Pill™”, which has the potential to be a platform for oral delivery of a wide range of therapeutic protein drugs.
enGene is currently seeking an outstanding dynamic, experienced and team-oriented In vivo Scientist/Pharmacologist to be an integral part of the Pre-Clinical Development team in the In Vivo department to support enGene’s Research Programs reporting to the In Vivo Associate Director. The successful candidate will develop, validate and utilize animal models to establish mechanism-of-action and efficacy of new drugs and identify biomarkers with an emphasis on IBD, bladder cancer and potential disease models that can benefit from a gene therapy approach targeting mucosal tissue. Additionally, the successful candidate will perform molecular techniques, in collaboration with the in vitro team; including but not limited to quantification of histological endpoints, immunoassays, and RNA analysis.
The successful candidate will work in a dynamic, fast-paced and highly collaborative environment, interacting with a multi-disciplinary scientific team at enGene, and will apply his/her scientific and technical expertise to several projects to aid drug discovery and development as well as to support clinical programs. The successful candidate will be expected to analyze and communicate scientific data internally and in external scientific meetings, as well as to embrace and exemplify our company culture and values; Patient-focused, Integrity, Innovation and Teamwork.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for designing, developing and implementing clinically relevant pre-clinical animal models to evaluate the in vivo efficacy and mechanism-of-action of gene therapy biotherapeutics.
- Responsible for protocol preparation, data review, analysis, and study reports review for pharmacology studies across all disease areas internally and externally (CROs, key experts)
- Collaborate with the in vitro team in designing, developing and implementing ex vivo and in vitro analysis in connection with the in vivo studies
- Contribute to the identification, characterization, and validation of potential biomarkers and/or surrogate markers and measurements in non-clinical studies
- Deliver high-quality evaluation and interpretation of pre-clinical pharmacology data (e.g., safety, dose/concentration response)
- Collaborate in the development of pharmacodynamic assays to quantitatively track target engagement in blood and/or tissues.
- Oversee experimental design and results of Research associates/Scientists
- Assume additional responsibilities including mentoring and developing scientific staff as needed
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Msc degree with 7-10 years of experience or PhD degree in Pharmacology, Physiology, Biochemistry or in a related discipline with a minimum of 3-5 years of relevant R&D experience in biotech/pharma
- Experience in relevant animal models as well as knowledge in gene therapy is a strong asset
- People management experience would be considered an asset
- High ethical standards and a keen eye for animal welfare
- Ability to prioritize own workload and to work as part of a team
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues in a multidisciplinary setting
- Problem solving skills and strong communication skills
- Team-focused, goal-oriented and quality-conscientious
- Effective communication skills to facilitate the ability to work in a fast-paced and dynamic team environment
- Proven ability to multitask and work effectively under pressure with tight timelines
- Ability to maintain detailed laboratory notes and protocols
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite and GraphPad Prism
- Language: Proficient verbal and written English; functional knowledge of French would be considered an asset
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org